Quotes

For those who might enjoy seeing these, I am posting the quotes I have collected over the years on this page http://quotescollectedovertheyears.blogspot.com/

Stuttering and speech therapy

See the difference in this video posted a year ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfLHojgVYtk and this one posted 3 months ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdUXYPBQG-M. I understand that Philip Garber has been taking speech therapy, and it sure has helped him. It also shows that his stuttering is not near as "disruptive" in a classroom as it would have been a year ago.

A few people who stutter say that speech therapy did not help them or even made them worse. I expect they did not have a therapist who was trained to work with stuttering. If you or your child stutters and you are seeking a therapist, make sure they have been trained to work with someone who stutters. If there is not one near you, there are summer camps and intensive clinics run by good therapists. You can find the lists under "referrals" at www.stutteringhelp.org

2 comments:

Monica Williams said...

I stumbled onto your website and thought I'd leave my experiences about stuttering.
I don't know how young I was when I started stuttering but I know I stuttered horribly until I reached the age of about 23 then for some strange reason I just quit. I don't know what made me quit stuttering either, maybe it was because I got married at that age but who knows?
I had many negative experiences in school regarding stuttering. I had classmates who made fun of me, I had teachers who were not empathetic towards me, I had adults who never supported or defended me, I had years of speech classes which I feel never really helped me, I had very low-self esteem and I never felt that I was good enough. But let me finish by saying this. I am now happily married for 26+ years, I have 2 grown children, I've accomplished a college degree at 49 years old, I have done things which I never thought I'd do such as be on the Oprah Winfrey show (when it was on), I was a contestant on The Price Is Right, I have done a PSA (Public Service Announcement) for CBS on Diversity which aired nationally, just to name a few. It took a while for me to "get-it" but I finally realized that regardless of my stuttering I was ~ and still am ~ worthy enough, good enough, smart enough, and important enough to do anything I set my mind to do. Don't give up and don't ever sell yourself short. You are worthy too!

Bud said...

Thanks for sharing, Monica.