Quotes

For those who might enjoy seeing these, I am posting the quotes I have collected over the years on this page http://quotescollectedovertheyears.blogspot.com/

Those Who Stutter are Not Alone

I have been thinking that there are plenty of reasons for people who stutter to not feel like they are the only ones on the planet who are treated unkindly for the way they are. I have always felt a particular empathy for anyone who stutters because I saw the frustration and anxiety my uncles and cousins endured while growing up. Of course, their parents wondered if it was something they did that caused it since most of the children and grandchildren stuttered. As I get older, I notice that I am treated differently - in some cases worse, in some cases better than when I was young, agile, and strong. I accept the changes and the fact that I can't do things the way I used to be able to do them and that some things I have to have help with. Having arthritis is not much different than stuttering. You just find other ways to get things done than the way you used to do them. People with arthritis have good days and bad days just like people who stutter. We have to be patient with ourselves and do things slower and sometimes wait for someone to help us. Those who stutter need to be patient with themselves and get help from therapists who can help. Practicing speach techniques and using tools that help speaking become easier for someone who stutters coorelates with our having to exercise to keep our limbs working and sometimes using tools that aid us in daily activities. I'm sure there are others who can relate.

No comments: