Quotes

For those who might enjoy seeing these, I am posting the quotes I have collected over the years on this page http://quotescollectedovertheyears.blogspot.com/

Never knew another stutterer

When a child thinks he/she is the only one who stutters, it is nice to know that you aren't alone. But, it certainly would be nice if the others that go to school with you understood stuttering and knew more about it. Here is a comment to an older post from a stutterer: "I was harshly teased as a child in the 70's and 80's for my stutter and I never met another stutterer until I was almost an adult. It's a rough row to hoe for a small child...often people think you are stupid or are damaged somehow...they assume that stuttering children are less intelligent. It's wonderful to see more education out there for kids who face this affliction...and educating non-stuttering kids is the right way to go. "

Teachers, daycare centers, playgroups, parenting groups, and parents should be just as concerned about teaching fluent children about stuttering as they are about helping a child who stutters. Information to help these groups can be found at www.stutteringhelp.org.

No comments: