Quotes

For those who might enjoy seeing these, I am posting the quotes I have collected over the years on this page http://quotescollectedovertheyears.blogspot.com/

Teasing children who stutter

Children who stutter are often teased and laughed at by their peers. This causes them to withdraw and talk less, which is the opposite of what anyone who stutters needs. They need to be accepted for who they are and heard for what they have to say. The immediate reaction to teasing and bullying is either to fight or to run and hide. Parents and teachers need to help the child who stutters by teaching the other children how to help the child who is stuttering as well as to teach the stuttering child a good response. Self acceptance is hard for the young child as they want to be like their peers and to be accepted as part of the group. Those children who can have a positive attitude about their stuttering while they are learning methods to improve their fluency will have a happier childhood. Some people who stutter think of things they wish they could do to hurt those who laugh at them, but it is better to learn to laugh at yourself and find something to say such as "Come back when you can stutter better than I can" as suggested in the book "Sometimes I Just Stutter."

Everyone has some disability. Some are poor readers but a whiz at math. Some are great with numbers, but poor readers. Some people can read very well, but can't tell you what they read afterwards. Some people are color blind. Some people have a lisp. Some people have a limp. There are those who can't swim or dance. There are any number of things that makes us different. All of us have to learn how to cope with our disability. The person who stutters is no different.

Those who don't have the same disability as us often don't understand what is wrong or how to react. Some people want to help but don't know what to do. Some people think we are doing it on purpose to make them laugh. Some people just plain don't care and wish they weren't in our company. Any way that we can help educate others about our disability and how we would like to be helped, if we want help, also helps others in the same boat.

I remember almost getting hit by a blind student when I was in college because I offered to help them through a new building. If I couldn't see, I sure would love for someone to help me find my way the first time in a new place. How was I to know that it would insult that person?! Well, the same goes for someone who stutters. Don't get mad if someone speaks too slow or too loud or acts like you are stupid. They need help, too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was harshly teased as a child in the 70's and 80's for my stutter and I never met another stutterer until I was almost an adult. It's a rough row to hoe for a small child...often people think you are stupid or are damaged somehow...they assume that stuttering children are less intelligent. It's wonderful to see more education out there for kids who face this affliction...and educating non-stuttering kids is the right way to go.